Saturday, September 19, 2009

Baby steps...

I logged on today and realized that it has been exactly one month since I last posted. I imagine most of my loyal followers have given up on me...but I'll continue this post, anyway. And, like most of my other recent (and I use this word with full awareness of its irony) posts, I'll begin with an apology for not keeping my family and friends abreast of the goings-on in the Petersen household.

I have to officially start with a short note of praise for the transional seasons. It seems not that long ago that I was singing the praises of springtime, and here it is - fall. I love the crisp air (this week has been a little on the warm side - a whopping 75 degrees most days - but the mornings and evenings have that hint of fall), the changing leaves, even the football on Saturdays (college football only, please, not a lot of interest in pro). I cannot wait until the girls are old enough (will it be next year???) to go to appling in Gays Mills, WI, or walking around Effigy Mounds on the banks/bluffs of the Mississippi.

Of course fall also means back to the grind-stone of school...and my year is going very well so far. Life moves, for me, anyway, at a much faster pace over on the West Side - I'm teaching five classes now, instead of just one or two. But I am adjusting, and adjusting well. I like seeing and working with many more students everyday, and everyday affirms for me that this has been a good decision.

The girls are growing so quickly! In another month and half they will be an entire year old! I'll admit, there has been a time or two when that thought has brought tears to my eyes. My little babies are growing up. They are showing real personalities more and more each day, and they are able to do more and more each day.
They have truly begun to play with each other - something that I have tried, unsuccessfully, to catch on tape numerous times. They are always so happy to see one another, shrieking and babbling to each other as though they are creating their own little twin language. They chase one another around the living room, we have a chair in front of our fireplace that they circle, shrieking and chasing. When they catch each other they break into peals of laughter and roll around, wrestling on the floor. Today when they finished their morning bottles, Cora stood on one side of the chair and Evaline on the other and they played peek-a-bo with each other, hiding and then shreaking with laughter when they saw one another again. And sometimes, when one is crying the other will go and put a hand on the sad ones leg, as though to say "it's OK". I'm sure that's not exactly what is going on...but, I think it is the beginning stages of love and compassion for one another. I think this is why people have twins. Or, at least, one of the reasons why I'm glad that I do.

The past month has brought us many other changes as well. They both have cut their first tooth (bottom left) and act as though #2 is on its way. Cora waves bye-bye, feeds herself - with perfect precision (Cora typically sees no point in doing anything until she can do it perfectly), plays patty-cake and claps her hands, and has just begun to stand by herself. Evaline has been working on some other things. She has finally begun to take a decent nap, and can get herself to go back to sleep when she wakes halfway through, (or early in the morning). Hooray! Additionally, the past several weeks she's been standing by herself for longer and longer periods, and yesterday she took her first real steps! Since then she's been doing it frequently -never more than four at a time, but she's beginning to walk! Watch out world - here comes Evaline!
Pics to come... we've only taken a few good ones recently (and they are still on the camera)...the girls are too interested in the camera to let us take tons of pictures without them lunging for the "black box in front of mommy's face".

No comments: