Saturday, July 10, 2010

The summer of food continues....

Buy this book...well, only if you are charged with feeding young people.  Around 6 - 9 months when the girls were first starting out on food other than rice cereal we bought this cookbook:


and I've been loving it ever since!  It is great - it breaks down nutritional advice in easy terms. Feeding the kids has always been something that I've worried about a little - always wondering if I'm doing the right thing, if they are getting everything they need, etc...this book addresses those issues. It also gives great information on specific difficulties found at every age group - from just starting solids up to age 7 (and therefore beyond).  The meals are nutritious, and while it doesn't give a complete nutritional analysis (which I wish it did), it does give info on what vitamins and minerals each dish provides, as well as instructions for freezing for later if suitable.  The meals are kid-friendly and easy to prepare...and good enough for me and Ian to enjoy!

Here's an example:
Homemade Chicken Nuggets (These were SOOO much better than the fast-food variety...and actually good for you!)

Put:
3/4 lb chicken (cut in to chunks), 1 onion (peeled/diced), 2 T fresh parsely, 1/2 c. bread crumbs, 1 chicken stock cube (crumbled) and 1 small apple (peeled, grated) into a food processor and chop until well combined.  Shape mixture into nuggets (or a flat disk and then cut into shapes with a cookie cutter).

On a plate, mix: 1/2 c. dry bread crumbs, 1 c. cheese and onion potato chips (crushed fine). Dip the nuggets into the  coating and fry until light golden and cooked through.
 ---------
***I modified this, however.  I only used 1/4 of an onion, and I added fresh garlic, I didn't have fresh parsely so I used dried cilantro, I used cracker crumbs, 1 t. of chicken boullion, and also added one grated carrot (in addition to the already-prescribed apple).  In the coating I used cracker crumbs again, and sour cream and onion potato chips. 

It made about 30 nuggets.  We cooked and ate half, the other half I browned on each side using Pam instead of oil and froze, and will bake when we eat them...we'll see how that comes out.

In the future I would also add some ground flax seed, and another carrot, or maybe some zucchini and might just use cracker crumbs, wheat germ and seasoning for the coating. 

*** By the way, this is how I "follow" most savory recipes...
_________________

As I was typing that up, I thought of another really successful and slightly weird recipe that I want to share...since this is my "summer of food" and all...but this one isn't from the aforementioned cookbook.  It came from clipping my mom cut from somewhere. But that recipe was wrong on a few things, so I made some changes along the way and am giving you the revised version.  It's better.  Trust me.

This is a recipe for granola bars/breakfast bars that you can add just about anything and everything to...its a good way to clean out your cupboard...while at the same time being a super-heathy snack.  A nice alternative to goldfish crackers (my stand-by).

Kitchen Sink Granola Bars (these have a soft texture, they aren't sticky or crunchy)
1-1/2 C. quick rolled oats
1/4 C. flour (preferably whole wheat)
2/3 C. dried fruit (any variety)
1/2 C. chopped nuts (any variety)
1-1/2 C. shredded raw apple (1 medium-large apple)
1/4 C. orange juice
1/2 t. salt
1-1/2 T. brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together, let stand 10 minutes.  press into an ungreased 8 x 8 pan and bake at 375 for 25 minutes (until lightly browned).

**Other good additions might be sunflower, pumpkin or flax seed, honey, molasses, maple flavoring, chocolate chips...ENDLESS possibilities here...

No comments: