Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sick and Tired

That's been our last two weeks.  First the girls were sick...something else that they broght home from daycare.  Some icky version of the stomach flu.  They passed it on to me, and I was stuck in bed for an unbelievable four days!  Who get that kind of sick for four days?! Luckily, two of those days were over last weekend so I only had to miss two days of school.  Then, as soon as I was feeling better from that...I developed a cough that went straight to my vocal chords and I got laryngitis for the third time in the past year.  I immediately went to the doctor, he prescribed some strong antibiotics, and I was feeling better by Friday (yesterday).  I hate being sick. 

I should have known it was coming, though.  You see, I was about three days into a new workout routine.  I got a Zumba game for my Wii.  Although my body doesn't really move that way (sober, at least), it's pretty fun...challenging, but fun.  I also have a Biggest Loser game for the Wii, and it has good workouts and yoga.  My plan was to alternate the workouts...but....well, everytime I get about three days into a new workout routine I get sick and my great plans of being back in shape get blown out the window.  Maybe I'll be able to get back on track this week.  I'll start....Monday.

Speaking of getting back in shape...the weather was a balmy 40 degrees today, so we decided to venture out.  I think this was the first time that I'd been outside longer than it takes to walk to my car since November.  I was ready for a walk.  It was still a bit chilly, so we didn't go much further than around the block the long way...but it was REALLY nice to get out of the house.

Here are the girls all bundled up for the first walk of 2011 (luckily, they are still perfectly fine with sitting in the stroller for walks.  I'm not looking forward to the day when they will want to get out and walk, too. That will totally screw up all of my walking-for-fitness plans.).  They picked out their own outfits (and so that begins...)  Please notice that Cora's hood does not match her jacket.  Also notice that Evaline's hat is on backwards (she put it on herself).



Before we went for the walk, we spent some time this morning making some bars.  I'm so happy that the girls are old enough to begin to cook with me.  Right now, they are old enough to stand steadily on the chair and mostly just cook next to me.  But they are really good at dumping flour or whatever into the bowl.  Want the recipe for these?  Check out my other blog...I should have it up sometime tomorrow (Sunday) evening.


And now I'm off to start a new book.  One of my New Year's resolutions was to get 12 "for fun" books read this year...and I have yet to finish a single one.  I'd better get cracking!  I'm starting with I am One of You Forever by Fred Chappell.  I'd never heard of it before...but it comes highly recommended from Ian.  If I finish it, I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the moral of the story is not to exercise. I can't remember if I told you this already, but elderberry syrup is supposed to lessen the flu. There's a brand called Sumbucol (or something like that). Target is supposed to carry it, but I have yet to find it there. I hope you are all well until spring. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my kids don't get anything too nasty in the next couple of months.