Friday, July 31, 2009

The story of "us"

The apparently on-going trend in the Ian-Merry relationship is to have something BIG happen every four months. Since we started dating, every four months something happens - it has always been good - but it has also always been somewhat life-changing, and it is always something unplanned. Here's what I'm talking about:

July 2006: We start dating. Four months later...

November 2006: I moved into Ian's condo - we had been planning to do this in December, but, a day or two before my Dec. rent was due, we decided to save that cash and spur-of-the-moment go ahead and move a month early. Four months later...

March 2007: Ian proposed. He had intended to propose on our mini-break to the quaint town of Galena, IL in mid-April, but once he had the ring in his hand, he couldn't wait. Four months later...

July 2007: We go married! We had originally been planning a June '08 wedding, but decided we didn't particularly care for the planning process, and wanted to do something completely unconventional. Four months later...

November 2007: We closed on and moved into our house! First, we weren't really looking to move quite that early, then, we were supposed to close in December but changed the date to accomodate the sellers. Four months later...

March 2008: We found out we were having a baby! We had intended to plan the pregnancy to fit our "teacher" schedules - which would have been more the July/August timeframe. But, apparently, we are extremely fertile. Four months later...

July 2008: Twins! At the last minute, we opted against the 8 week ultrasound (we just didn't want to know the results of the tests performed at that time), which would have meant finding out in May. Four months later...

November 2008: Cora and Evaline! Born three weeks earlier than their December 4th due date. Four months later...

March 2009: (this one is a bit of a stretch...almost made us think that our streak was at an end) A surprisingly awesome tax return. For anyone planning minor (not HGTV "Spice Up My Kitchen"- style -- that's a little "pie-in-the-sky") home renovations, I recommend having twins towards the end of the calendar year. Of course, taking care of said twins will prohibit any renovations (or cooking, cleaning, reading, hobbies, real excerise, socializing, etc) from actually getting done. And now that leaves us...four months later...

July 2009: I got a new job! Not that my old one needed replacing, but...I will now be teaching social studies at Jefferson HS - the same school as Ian! This also happened unexpectedly - the job only became available through a unique turn of events that went down in July...and it happened just barely fitting the schedule as I found out at the very end of the month.

So, I guess the question now is....what more could possibly happen four months from now???



(and...I'll post more pics later - we've gone a little camera-crazy this summer, and I need to whittle down the recent ones...)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

In four months, you'll be pregnant again :). Come on, you don't want to risk breaking the trend!

Merry said...

Yikes! That's not even funny to joke about Rachel!!

Katie said...

Congratulations on the new job ... sounds like it fell into your lap, and being on the same schedule as Ian is an opportunity you can't pass up. Hope you really enjoy this new position.

I'm with Rachel! :)

Anonymous said...

Yea! Congrats on the new job Merry. How fun to get to car pool to work everyday. :-) I agree with Rachel, in 4 months you'll be pregnant again.
Heather