Friday, September 2, 2011

Our New Home

For the fellow teachers out there...I don't recommend moving the week you have to go back to school.   I think that was among the most stressful weeks of my life.  But...now we are in, and after a couple weeks...starting to feel a bit settled.  We have no decorations on the walls (everything from the old house seems...well, wrong somehow for this new house), so it will take some creativity to make everything work.  But, we do have the main floor and the upstairs unpacked.  The only thing left is to organize the basement...we need to go through boxes and decide what needs to stay in boxes and just be moved to the storage area, what needs to be unpacked and moved into the storage area, and what to do the rest of the stuff.  We had much more room for storage at our old house (the basement was not finished, so the whole thing was a dumping ground - at times an organized dumping ground - but a dumping ground none-the-less), so I think that making the old work in the new will, again, take some creativity....and it is something that we just haven't gotten to yet.  

Would you like to take a quick virtual tour?  Unfortunately, I'm a bit of an idiot and packed my camera instead of keeping it out to take nice "before and after" shots so you could all appreciate the work we did the weekend before we moved in.  The colors were atrocious, and the paint job worse still.  But, since we've got most of it cleaned up, I'm afraid no one will ever believe me about how bad it really was.  Luckily it was just paint.  And, with a little work, even paint-mess-ups all over the ceiling and baseboards can be fixed. 

So let's start: You'll notice that there are no pics of the basement - I'll post those after I get all the boxes put away...and maybe once we get some furniture in.  We went from having one to having three living-room-type spaces...it might take a while to fill that. :)

Here's the front of the house (duh).

When you walk in the front door, directly in front is the staircase.  If you look to your left, you'll see the dining room (it still needs to be painted).

If you look to your right, you will see the formal living room...which we are currently using as the girls' playroom.

Next to the stairs is a short hallway with a coat closet, stairs to the basement and a half bath.  At the end of the hall, you enter the living room.

Turn 180 degrees from the living room, and you are in the kitchen. (The outlet covers are off because it still needs a second coat of paint.)

With an eat-in area on the other side of the bar/counter.

Between the kitchen and the dining room is a very small hallway with the door to the garage, another coat closet, and the pantry.

Off the eat-in kitchen there is a sliding door to the patio, here is the view of the backyard from the patio.  The house was vacant all summer, so as you can see, the yard needs some work...but...I think it has great potential.

Back in the house and up the stairs...straight ahead is the master.

And again  (don't you love the quilt?  My mom made that for us for a wedding gift!)

Bathroom/bathtub...this is my new sanctuary.

His and her sinks...plus a mirror that two people can look into at the same time and both can see their entire face!!! Bliss!!

Just outside the master, spare room #1.  It's messy.  I don't care. (This room has yet to painted.)

Second spare room...office right now, probably one of the girls will take it over in the not-so-distant future.  Although I'm planning on them sharing a room for several years yet.  I don't know why, but I just like them sharing a room.  (It needs paint, too.)

Girls' room.  We need new "big girl" furniture, and it will all be white.  Its on our ever-growing list of things we need to buy now that we bought a bigger house.

Girls' bathroom, it was painted a pale lavender.  Luckily, I had a shower curtain and towels left over from my very first apartment that match pretty well.  Whew...one less thing to paint, and to buy!

No comments: