Friday, May 28, 2010

See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen...

I love to dance. I'm not very good at it, so usually I goof around considerably to disguise the lack of ability. I generally lean towards a combination between acting out the lyrics and mime-ing (you know: the sprinkler, lawnmower, hedgeclippers, pencil sharpener (always the crowd pleaser), grocery cart, etc). This works better with songs such as Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now," "We Like to Party" by the Vengaboys or Dazy Head Mazy's "Never Forget". There was a time oh, say seven (can it really be seven?!?!) years ago where most Thursdays I could be found dancing the night away while any-coin-buys-any-drink-for-ladies-night at Sips (remember when?!).

But this post is not meant to be about me. I'm not the dancing queen of the post's title. That honor belongs to...well, it comes in as a tie between my two favorite 18-month-olds. You see, I'm working hard to turn my daughters into a couple of DPS's (Dance Party Starters for those of you who did not belong to the Rho chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta at Iowa State University between the years 1999 and 2003). And they are loving every minute.

A couple weeks ago I was home alone with the girls, so we blasted the music and cut a rug. However, they both wanted me to hold them and dance at the same time. This worked for about a song. Maybe a song and a half. Then my arms felt as though they may fall off. But the girls did not want down. My solution? I talked them into wanting to dance with their babies (dolls, not real ones) instead of me. Worked like a charm. Now they want to dance with their babies every time the music plays. Incredibly cute...and incredibly genius, if I do say so myself. And what's even better is that I have some video of it that I'd like to share with you (its short though - their general rule of thumb is to never, ever cooperate when the camera is rolling).

So...some rare footage of the dynamic duo in action:
Oh I should note: Cora likes to dance by sort of swaying or slowly turning in a circle, while Evaline dances by running either in place, or forward and back - as she's doing in this video.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

AHH..memories! Looks like you're teaching them well! SIPS better watch out...in a little over 19 years! ;-)

Heather Schulz said...

Oh yes, Ladies Night at Sips. I think you better start getting the girls familiar with "Jesse's Girl" as that was always played there. I hope you're teaching the girls the dance move we invented in the basement of a fraternity house that resembles a chicken dance. Love it!