When we moved in to our house about a year ago, I had plans for the girls room...and its taken me just over a year to get them done. My original goal had been to get their room finished before I started on Willa's...but then Willa's due date kept creeping up on me, so I had to finish her room first. A few weeks ago, the Cora and Evaline went back to preschool, giving me a little time to get this done. With my mom's help, I was able to get their quilts finished...the last piece left to do.
When the girls were born, they were given some incredibly cute receiving blankets, a set of pink of brown flannel blankets in three different prints. They were "Dwell Studio" brand from Target (something that, unfortunately doesn't exist anymore...they were the perfect size receiving blanket...and a size that is nowhere to be found. Luckily, they were also given a set in a different pattern...so we still have some good ones for Willa.) . Anyway, they were actually given three or four sets of these blankets...and I always loved these blankets - both the patterns and the functionality. For sentimental reasons, I thought it would be a shame to let them go. So, I decided to make them into bed quilts for the girls, and decorated their room in pink and brown to coordinate.
Here's the final product:
Here's a better look at the beds:
And a close-up of the quilts - they aren't identical, but pretty close:

For artwork, we took some blank canvases from Michael's, and made some butterfly hand/foot print paintings. Some turned out better than others. For example, these looked waaaaaay better in my head before we made them. My hand-prints make the top of the butterfly, and each of the girls handprint makes the bottom (one canvas for each girl):
I really like the way these turned out, though. I found this idea on Pinterest. The girls footprints make up these butterflies:
Evaline's
Cora's
And...I had a couple canvases left over, so I let them go to town and create their own art (Evaline's on the left, Cora's on the right):






No comments:
Post a Comment